Stockholm- A Culture Capital

Stockholm- A Culture Capital
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Friday, March 4, 2011

Cracks in the Ice



Well once upon a time at New Year I told you I would be publishing many more posts on my blog, and alas the last 2 months have been as dry and barren as my Moscow winter.

Over the last 2 months I have been working at school, with private students and on top of that taking 2 teaching certifications through International House. One in teaching Business English and one for teaching Young Learners. Between the 12 hour days, class prep., homework, meetings, and a teaching practicum on Sundays I have become incredibly productive and have managed to keep some money under the matress for the fall.

On the other hand I have been rendered uninspired and socially uninteresting.


However the first day of spring came yesterday and I have seen some water trickling across the snow-pile-lined pavements of Moscow. Nothing could excite me more! A hint of spring and the summer to follow coupled with the fact that this week is also Maslenitsa (Butter week) in Russia. What the Hell is butter week you ask?


Well, Butter Week or Pancake Week is the week long festival to celebrate the coming of spring and the week before the religious holiday Lent. It is celebrated by eating pancakes (more like a French style crepe) everyday of the week in a different place or accompanying them with social activities and music.

By Sunday I shall be fat, buttery and well informed on the holiday. Watch for my blini news.

No comments:

Post a Comment