Stockholm- A Culture Capital

Stockholm- A Culture Capital
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Russia: Hot Off the Press

Moscow. 2 weeks down. 42 to go. Not that I want to leave, but a survivalist mentality kicks in when you are in such a massive city. A city of 10 Million where most people conform, are racist to foreigners, and are often closed minded. These people don’t speak the language I do, and nothing is written in the Latin alphabet outside of my computer screen. It sounds bleak and overwhelming, which is exactly how I felt my first night in the city.

However the city starts to open up to you day after day. You begin to understand where you are and are going, words and signs begin to have meaning, and you come to terms with the fact that Russians don’t smile. Oh and when you do, they act like they might catch it. The word crazy comes to mind every time I begin trying to describe Moscow.

You know that friend of yours that can be frustrating at times because they are so hard to control and may do something rash on a whim? Full of ups and downs, but despite this you love them because they are always a good time, and never boring. Moscow is this friend. Huge and diverse with tons to do and see. People always in motion, and at every corner you find an incredible building, a camel riding stand, or 3 guys challenging you to a hammering contest in the middle of the street.

The city is a place of contradictions and is a ‘take it as it is’ kind of place. The fun of exploring here is never knowing what to expect and just going with it. Every time I leave the house with my camera I come home with some great pictures and when I forget I am kicking myself for missing the opportunity.

I have yet to develop a feeling of home in Moscow, but I have a respect and a healthy appetite for what there is to take from the city and I know this year will be thrilling, action packed, and hold twists and turns that I can’t even guess about.

1 comment:

  1. Looks so cool Mac!!
    I bet it was extremely overwhelming your first couple of days but good for you for opening yourself up to new opportunities :)

    ReplyDelete