Stockholm- A Culture Capital

Stockholm- A Culture Capital
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Friday, November 27, 2009

Back to School Blues

All alone in the city I was very stressed to start school. It has been a while since I have tackled something completely new so it gave me some anxiety. I tried to sleep early because I really didn't want to sleep in for school (which has happened so many times before) However the sun seems to wake me up consistently around the 7 to 8 o' clock range. I don't start classes until 9:30 so it has worked out. After all the worrying about the course, the first day went very smooth and was really quite a lot of fun. My class is of 11 and about half are from South Africa, there are some from mozambique, two Canadians (one is me), one from Botswana, and a girl from the Czech Republic. It is also a mix of ages from 18 to probably about 50. The people are quite great. The scary part however was that we had to start teaching the next day to a class of 16 students.

These students come for 4 weeks of free instruction and most of them are refugees or immigrants from Angola and The Congo who are looking for work or are political refugees. Most of them speak French as their first language and some of them speak Portuguese. Overall it looks like school will be very hectic and very rewarding.

Love you all!

Mac Putici

No comments:

Post a Comment