Stockholm- A Culture Capital

Stockholm- A Culture Capital
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Little Teacher From the Prairie

Well today I taught my very first English Lesson! Although I was worried when they told us we would be teaching the second day of classes it was really good to get started with what we are there to learn. The school and teachers are so efficient, no nonsense, it is just so refreshing to maximize time and not just clock the hours. The class is very demanding and we already have multiple assignments on the go on top of our regular lesson planning and teaching. I feel that I have more than enough time to work on everything in the evening, as I no longer have a social life. I do go on solo dates each night for dinner however.

As for my very first lesson, it was a lot of fun. I am teaching elementary level for the first 2 weeks. Elementary not meaning little children, but grown adults (some of them very smart, and with very good jobs) however these students are from other countries and so their English skills are very basic. It is very excited to see the gears turning in their minds and seeing them get so involved in the learning. Tomorrow I will be interviewing one of the students for an assignment and I am so excited to get to know these students.

We also did our first live teacher observation of one the employed teachers at the school. Watching others teach is nice to see all the different techniques you can employ in your own lessons but it makes me want to get up and give it a go. I am really getting close with my classmates and hopefully I will be able to make a few friends before I leave. It is a tad lonely when you can’t even text.

I also had one of the best meals in my life this evening. I went to Haiku for Asian tapas. I had dim sum with salmon and cream cheese. Amazing beef filet with shitake mushrooms served with horseradish and a robata sauce. Then I had red curry duck on coconut rice and a chocolate spring roll with almond and marshmallow. Cape Town continues to marvel me the constantly above average food.

I am off to plan a lesson!

Mac Putici

No comments:

Post a Comment